Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Innovative Youth Crime measure. Apparently Prison Works!

Well, according to this article here on the local BBC news website, Arun District council sent some 11 to 15 year olds to Lewis prison which is an adult prison. They were for the most part involved in low level anti social behavior. They spent there time being shown around, being searched, seeing the exercise yard and hearing from inmates.

Apparently they did not like it, and the message has sunk in. What is more they are likely to circulate it to their friends. Reports so far are good.

I have been there myself as a delivery driver (when I was at University) and I can tell you it is a grim place. I certainly would not want to go there!

I'd like to say well done to the council for the scheme. I wonder what other innovative schemes there are out there to help children get back on the straight and narrow?

No comments: